Drugstore Makeup Fails!

Hey guys! Thanks for stopping by my blog.Today I’ll be sharing my thoughts and opinions on the drugstore makeup fails.

Maybelline’s “The Rock Nudes” Palette is the newest 12 pan eyeshadow palette that is part of their Spring 2016 Collection. Yes,  this is another palette from the brand that is part of their larger palette series back in 2014 when they first launched The Nudes palette.

First up, I’m going to talk a little bit about Maybelline The Rock Nudes Eyeshadow Palette.

I wasn’t hesitant at all when I saw this new palette expecting that the formula would be similar or better than its predecessor but I was fairly disappointed. Many of you who have been following my blog knows that I’ve a huge obsession with eyeshadow palettes so that’s how this palette got in my collection.

It houses 12 smokey shades for $17.99 a palette. The packaging is not sexy or luxe whatsoever. If you’ve other palettes from the Maybelline The Nudes collection, then you would totally know what I’m saying. Boring same old drugstore plastic packaging.

I found that when you swatched with just one swipe of the color, the shadows were a bit chalky and not as deep in pigmentation.

I really don’t like the formula in this palette at all. The shadows are too powdery with low color pigmentation. The color selections are equally terrible. There are many similar shades in this palette as you can see on the swatch colors. I hate to say this but the staying power isn’t there at all.

Drugstore makeup prices continue to rise higher and higher unfortunately. I feel like I can use that money towards something mid-range.

On me, all the colors seems to mix up together and makes my eyes look like I just had a major fight.

Sad to say but this palette is truly a miss for me.I prefer shadows that doesn’t need a lot of effort to create a pretty look. These shadows definitely take a little more effort and need a good base or primer to get the most pay off. I wouldn’t recommend this palette to anyone. Keep your money and invest on some other drugstore brand that’s of much better quality.

Essence Smokey 2 in 1 Kohl Liner from the drugstore Pharmaprix (SDM). I believe this is the only shade they carry the last time I check.

I should say I’m not really a kohl kinda girl, I prefer regular old eyeliners. But Essence’s formula is actually kinda nifty.

Here’s why!

I always thought that a 2 in 1 formula kohl acts as either a liner or a blendable shadow. Do you agree?

I like how I can apply a thicker layer of this on my lash line but it takes a lot more work to draw a wing. The tip is thick and soft formula makes it hard to pull out a slaying cat eye.

My two cents opinion, this kohl is better as eyeshadow than an eyeliner. It smudges well and it goes powdery as you work, so it looks like you just applied a black eyeshadow.

So, as an eyeliner, I wouldn’t recommend it but would be great as cream eyeshadow if they have them in different shades. I don’t have the great skill to create a beautiful smokey eye with neither powder shadow nor kohl. So, for that reason and the limited color choices, I’m going to pass.

Having said that, I will be searching for my holy grail eyeliner for sure. This are my personal opinions and the products I just mentioned might be your holy grail and I’m totally fine with it. Unfortunately, these two are my drugstore makeup fail products.

Let me know if you experience any makeup fails? Love to hear your comments.

Anyway, that’s it from me for now. Talk soon.:) Bye!

Sharon xoxo

Don’t miss a thing! Join conversation with me on all other social network to connect ❤

BUSINESS ENQUIRIES ONLY! sharonbeautyprime@gmail.com

1. liswynfarm says:

I’ve had the same experience with Maybelline Nude palettes! It wasn’t worth the money. I’d rather spend my money on Urban Decay’s Naked palettes.

2. Hi there, you said you were looking for your holy grail of eyeliners, I’m not sure if you prefer liquid or stick, but I have two right now I love : makeup forever eyeliner is amazing for me the felt tip is easy to use. The only problem I find with felt tips is they start getting kind of “hairy” and lose their tippiness. (annoying!) Anyways, thanks for the swatch, right off the bat I did not find it that attractive because as you said, the colors all look very similar, and for 17 bucks, NOT worth it!
    Thanks so much!

Lees

3. Great to know about those palettes as I’ve definitely eyed them a couple times! I just bought an eye shadow palette from NYX for about the same price and I LOVE it.
    – Jessica
    Miss Moore Style

• I’ve had Maybelline’s other nude palettes and like it but this Rock nude is a miss for me.I wonder why they changed the formula, leaving it much to be desired. Thanks for your comment Jessica! xo

4. My favorite eyeliner is actually one by Maybelline and my favorite eyeshadow palettes are the naked collection by Urban Decay. I’ve not found any two products that beat that :). In the past I’ve found a lot of other eyeshadow palettes to be chalky as well.

5. Bendy Beauty says:

I got the rose nudes one a while back and was super disappointed, it was terrible! There is pretty much no pigment in a lot of the shades, so glad to have discovered a much better palette from Max Factor (which I think may have been released in the US under the Covergirl brand) which I’m going to be reviewing this week x
    Sending love from http://bendybeautyblog.wordpress.com

• Bendy Beauty says:

Blushed nudes sorry, memory failure! They haven’t released this ‘rock’ one in the UK yet, thank you for forewarning us not to bother buying 🙂

• No problem! Glad this was of help. 🙂

• Blushed Nudes palette was a “meh” and the shades were too light on my skin. Agree that there are better eyeshadow palettes in the drugstores that perform much better. I even like the new NYC Lovatic eyeshadow palette, I did a review on. Yes, Covergirl Golden eyeshadow palette is also good for drugstore brand. I’ll check on your post for sure. Thanks very much for your comment and for stopping by Bendy! xo

6. Ursula Ball says:

I know I had makeup fails in the past for drugstore foundation because they have limited shades for women of diversity until resently!! Currently I love my Fit Me Foundation for my skin tone plus it hydrates my dry skin too!

Ursula

• Ewww… Those eye shadows were gross. Usually if there is a fail, it is a drug store brand. You need to sub to beauty boxes to find some awesome brands. BoxyCharm gives you full sized products. And at least twice, we got full Coastal scents Reveal palettes.

• I heard good things about BoxyCharm and have always wanted to try Coastal Scents Reveals palettes. Frankly speaking, the exchange rates and shipping is what holding me back. Thanks so much for your comment Cecilia. x

7. Such a shame that they lacked pigmentation as they really do look nice in the pallette.

8. I agree the colors didn’t look rich when you tried them on. Hope you can return it!

9. GAH HATE the makeup fails. Thanks for sharing this. I’ve tried a few products that my friends swear by and I was just like UGH NO. Hope you were able to return these!!
    XO Amanda | http://www.glitterandspice.com

10. Cesi Kohen says:

Have you tried urban decay? What are your thoughts? My fav affordable eyeliner is by stila so far?

11. harivain says:

My most vivid one was a bronzer that turned almost vermilion on me when I attended a fashion show!!! Thank God the lighting was dim… THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!

12. I really like the look of this pallet, share that you didn’t like it so
    much.

13. I wear actually just lipstick and I put powder to my face. I’m not good with eyeliner. Those things only happen when I have to go to a special event (like my wedding…I got all dolled up for that ofcourse). But I love the nude colors here…it’s more my thing.

14. therelativelynormal says:

Ahh…I REALLY wanted to love that Rock Nudes Palette. I had a feeling this would be the reviews it got though.

15. Those bloody maybelline palettes were such a let down. UGH! I keep hearing how their citystudio? ones are much better!